Monday, June 13, 2011

Food Traditions: The memories and methods of food and cooking

My love of thousand-layer cake comes from my childhood. Growing up in Indonesia, my mother would make desserts, and I am particularly fond of the thousand-layer cake. I learned how to make it by watching her. Thousand-layer cake is a combination of Dutch cake and Indonesian spices, and there is time involved in making it. Each layer is baked individually (not quite 1000 layers :)) and it's really quite a calming, fun tradition. There is a lot of love put into it, especially when the method is passed down from family to family.

What traditions does your family have with food? Did you learn how to do something from your mother? Please share!

If you have memories of food, traditions, and your father, be sure to check out our Father's Day contest!